New Executive Order banning the entry of certain non-immigrants delayed as the President’s Cabinet Members and Top advisors could not reach a consensus.

Friday June 19, 2020
×Close
  The Trump administration is weighing a significant expansion of current visa restrictions for foreign workers, widening the scope to include the highly skilled workers relied on by industries ranging from tech to healthcare. Several of President Donald Trump’s cabinet members and top advisers met on Tuesday [06/16/2020]  afternoon to discuss a possible executive order to suspend the issuance of visas to several classes of individuals, said four people briefed on the meeting.  President Trump was expected the sign the EO on 06/11/2020, which has been delayed. The president’s decision is still unclear, and groups within the White House were pushing different recommendations, they cautioned.  The decision was delayed as the President’s Cabinet Members and Top advisors could not reach a consensus. The Cabinet had reached a general agreement. As per the agreement, the ban should not affect the people who already have visas. The ban will have little impact as the U.S Consulates and Embassies are closed any ways and no new visas are being issued.  President Trump is yet to agree on the Cabinet terms. There is a rumor that President Trump will sign the Executive Order after the campaign rally on 06/20/2020. Rumors are that they increasingly expect the president to impose a “pause” on the issuance of new H-1B, H-2B, H4 EAB and L1 intracompany transfer visas, either for an initial 60 days, or for more than 120 days.  They said they were not expecting the executive order to affect people already in the US or waiting to fly back into the country on such visas. Companies remain hopeful that the executive order would include some exemptions for healthcare workers and those involved in the food supply chain. The move is likely to be framed as an attempt to encourage US companies to hire Americans left unemployed by coronavirus, but lawyers and lobbyists have pushed back. Stephen Miller, a hardline White House aide who is close to Mr. Trump, Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of US citizen and immigration services, and Chad Wolf, acting homeland security secretary, were among those pushing for tougher restrictions.

Related News

VIEW ALL
Class Action Lawsuit Seeks to Challenge USCIS’ Unlawful Denial of H-1B Petitions Filed by American Businesses

The American Immigration Council, the American Immigration Lawyers Association, and the law firms Van Der Hout, LLP, Joseph & Hall P.C., and Kuck Baxter Immigration LLC filed a nationwide class action lawsuit today challenging U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ pattern and practice of arbitrarily denying H-1B nonimmigrant employment-based petitions for market research analysts positions filed […]

Jeff Sessions Wants to Impose Quotas on Immigration Judges.

USCIS has just announced that they are now extending the suspension of CAP subject H-1B petitions all the way until February 19, 2019.

Processing Change for Certain Form I-730 Petitions

On January 12, 2018, USCIS changed the processing location for certain Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, filings. Previously the Service Center Operations Directorate processed these filings. Now, the International Adjudications Support Branch (IASB) in the Refugee, Asylum, and International Operations Directorate will process the petitions filed by individuals who were admitted to the United States […]